Asset Transfer Checklist
Asset Transfer Checklist
Planning for the distribution of a lifetime of accumulated wealth can be complicated. The process involves drafting and regularly updating your will and making the necessary trust arrangements. It requires understanding exactly what you own and how to transfer what you own (and in what manner) to family members or other beneficiaries.
Meetings with professionals—your attorney, accountant and trust officer—will help shape the plan that’s best for your personal circumstances. Here are some points that you’ll want to consider as you do your planning: ***
- How do you wish to divide your personal property among your loved ones? What items do you want to go to specific people? Are there any items that you wish to be sold?
- What dispositions do you wish to make of real estate that you own (other than jointly held property)? Should the property be left outright or in trust? Should a spouse or other relative be given a lifetime use of the property, and then should the property be passed on to another beneficiary? Should any real estate be sold or any mortgages paid off?
- How much of your assets should be left to your spouse outright or in trust? If left in trust, what provisions do you want to make for your spouse’s use of trust principal to supplement the income that he or she receives from the trust? (If you own community property, ask your attorney how this fact affects your planning.)
- What should happen to property left to your spouse in trust after he or she dies? Do you want to make the decisions or give your spouse the right to dispose of the property in his or her will?
- What is the best way to leave assets to your children? Should they share equally or according to their needs? Are there circumstances (disability, lack of financial responsibility) that may suggest that you should make special arrangements for the transfer of your assets to your children?
- What provisions do you want to make for any of your other relatives or dependents? To charities that you wish to favor?
- If you own a business, either as a sole proprietor, partner or as a majority shareholder of a closely held company, what steps do you need to take to transfer your
interest in a way that won’t disrupt the operation of the business? Or, if you plan to sell your business, what arrangements do you need to make now?
- What special powers, if any, do you want to give your executor (or, as the position is sometimes referred to, personal representative) and trustee? You might want to give specific instructions to them in several areas, for instance: the retention or sale of your investments; selling, mortgaging or leasing real estate; distributing bequests in kind; or the management of an ongoing business during the estate settlement period.
- Do you want your estate and inheritance taxes to be charged proportionately to all of your beneficiaries or allocated in some other way? Your attorney can explain the impact of your choice.
- Whom do you wish to name as your executor and trustee? Have you determined if they are willing to serve and have the requisite capabilities? Have you considered naming us to settle your estate and provide for the continuing management of assets that you place in trust?
We would be glad to discuss your estate planning needs with you and your other advisors. Most especially, we would like to tell you more about our capabilities and qualifications and why we are a wise choice to serve as your executor and trustee.
We hope you found this article about “Asset Transfer Checklist” helpful. If you have questions or need expert tax or family office advice that’s refreshingly objective (we never sell investments), please contact us or visit our Family office page or our website at www.GROCO.com. Unfortunately, we no longer give advice to other tax professionals gratis.
To receive our free newsletter, contact us here.
Subscribe our YouTube Channel for more updates.
Alan Olsen, is the Host of the American Dreams Show and the Managing Partner of GROCO.com. GROCO is a premier family office and tax advisory firm located in the San Francisco Bay area serving clients all over the world.
Alan L. Olsen, CPA, Wikipedia Bio
GROCO.com is a proud sponsor of The American Dreams Show.
The American Dreams show was the brainchild of Alan Olsen, CPA, MBA. It was originally created to fill a specific need; often inexperienced entrepreneurs lacked basic information about raising capital and how to successfully start a business.
Alan sincerely wanted to respond to the many requests from aspiring entrepreneurs asking for the information and introductions they needed. But he had to find a way to help in which his venture capital clients and friends would not mind.
The American Dreams show became the solution, first as a radio show and now with YouTube videos as well. Always respectful of interview guest’s time, he’s able to give access to individuals information and inspiration previously inaccessible to the first-time entrepreneurs who need it most.
They can listen to venture capitalists and successful business people explain first-hand, how they got to where they are, how to start a company, how to overcome challenges, how they see the future evolving, opportunities, work-life balance and so much more..
American Dreams discusses many topics from some of the world’s most successful individuals about their secrets to life’s success. Topics from guest have included:
Creating purpose in life / Building a foundation for their life / Solving problems / Finding fulfillment through philanthropy and service / Becoming self-reliant / Enhancing effective leadership / Balancing family and work…
MyPaths.com (Also sponsored by GROCO) provides free access to content and world-class entrepreneurs, influencers and thought leaders’ personal success stories. To help you find your path in life to true, sustainable success & happiness. It’s mission statement:
In an increasingly complex and difficult world, we hope to help you find your personal path in life and build a strong foundation by learning how others found success and happiness. True and sustainable success and happiness are different for each one of us but possible, often despite significant challenges.
Our mission at MyPaths.com is to provide resources and firsthand accounts of how others found their paths in life, so you can do the same.
Introduction: In this interview, Alan Olsen, CPA and featured guest Micah Fink discuss how Horses and Heroes use horses to aid veteran care and much more. Transcript: Alan Olsen Welcome to American Dreams. My guest today is Micah Fink, CEO and founder of Heroes and Horses. Micah, welcome to today’s show. Micah Fink Alan, thank…
Introduction: Two dad’s discussing life balance in the hectic world of IPOs with featured guest, Travis Combs, Managing Director at the Effectus Group. In this interview, Alan Olsen, CPA, MBA and Travis address family, faith, career, client’s best interest, and trying to strike a balance. Transcript: Alan Olsen Welcome to American Dreams. My guest today is…
Introduction: A candid discussion about investment banking and philanthropy with Mike Bennett, Managing Partner of Crewe Capital. In this interview, Alan Olsen, CPA, MBA and Mr. Bennett open a window into his Crewe Capital‘s early beginnings the connection between investment banking and philanthropy. Transcript: Alan Olsen 0:01 Welcome to American Dreams. My guest today is…
Introduction (teaching business success at Barr Business School) In this interview, Alan Olsen, CPA, MBA discusses teaching business success with Dr. Frumi Rachel Barr. Dr. Frumi Rachel Barr is the Founder and Chief Mentor at the Barr Business School. Transcript: Alan Olsen Hi, this is Alan Olsen and welcome to American Dreams. My guest today is…