Are You Prepared to Avoid the AMT Under the New Tax Law?
Are You Prepared to Avoid the AMT Under the New Tax Law?
The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) changed a lot of things. But unfortunately, it didn’t eliminate the dreaded Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT). The TCJA did change some of the AMT rules and it reduced the odds that you will qualify for the AMT.
AMT Risk Factors
That doesn’t mean everyone is immune. There are still certain risk factors that make you more likely to be subject to the Alternative Minimum Tax. They include:
• High Income–As mentioned, the AMT takes aim at high earners. If you have a substantial income, no matter how you earn it, you are more likely to lose your AMT exemption. That means your odds of owing the AMT increase.
• Incentive Stock Options (ISOs)–these do count as income under the AMT rules, so even though it’s not considered income under regular tax rules, you could be hit under the AMT rules.
• Private Activity Bonds Interest–if you have interest from private activity bonds you could increase you chances of being hit with the AMT. These are tax-free under regular tax rules, but not under the AMT rules.
• Higher Standard Deductions–the standard deductions under the normal tax rules are not allowed under the AMT rules. Because the TCJA nearly doubles the standard deduction amounts, this change has actually increased the risk of being hit with the AMT.
How to Avoid the AMT
There are some steps you can take to avoid these risks.
• Don’t Prepay State and Local Taxes–prepaying next year’s state and local property and income taxes at the end of the year will not help you avoid the AMT. They cannot be deducted under the new rules. Therefore, it’s best to wait till the year in which they are due to pay them.
• Spread Out Your In-the-Money ISOs–if you own these types stock options, it’s a good idea to exercise them over several years. If you exercise your ISOs too close together you could unexpectedly trigger the Alternative Minimum Tax.
• Stay Away From Private Activity Bonds–these bonds increase your chances of qualifying for the AMT, so it’s a good idea to avoid them.
Embrace the AMT
While most taxpayers want to avoid the AMT, if you’re fairly certain it’s going to apply to you, you might just want to embrace it. After all, under the new tax law, you will only be taxed at 28% under the AMT, while the highest regular income tax rate is 37%.
Minimize the Risks
The TCJA has significantly reduced the chances of qualifying for the AMT. It has also reduced the amount you would owe if you were hit with this tax. However, if you want to do everything you can to avoid it then try implementing these helpful tips.
We hope you found this article about “Are You Prepared to Avoid the AMT Under the New Tax Law?” helpful. If you have questions or need expert tax or family office advice that’s refreshingly objective (we never sell investments), please contact us or visit our Family office page or our website at www.GROCO.com. Unfortunately, we no longer give advice to other tax professionals gratis.
To receive our free newsletter, contact us here.
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more updates.
Alan Olsen, is the Host of the American Dreams Show and the Managing Partner of GROCO.com. GROCO is a premier family office and tax advisory firm located in the San Francisco Bay area serving clients all over the world.
Alan L. Olsen, CPA, Wikipedia Bio
GROCO.com is a proud sponsor of The American Dreams Show.
The American Dreams show was the brainchild of Alan Olsen, CPA, MBA. It was originally created to fill a specific need; often inexperienced entrepreneurs lacked basic information about raising capital and how to successfully start a business.
Alan sincerely wanted to respond to the many requests from aspiring entrepreneurs asking for the information and introductions they needed. But he had to find a way to help in which his venture capital clients and friends would not mind.
The American Dreams show became the solution, first as a radio show and now with YouTube videos as well. Always respectful of interview guest’s time, he’s able to give access to individuals information and inspiration previously inaccessible to the first-time entrepreneurs who need it most.
They can listen to venture capitalists and successful business people explain first-hand, how they got to where they are, how to start a company, how to overcome challenges, how they see the future evolving, opportunities, work-life balance and so much more..
American Dreams discusses many topics from some of the world’s most successful individuals about their secrets to life’s success. Topics from guest have included:
Creating purpose in life / Building a foundation for their life / Solving problems / Finding fulfillment through philanthropy and service / Becoming self-reliant / Enhancing effective leadership / Balancing family and work…
MyPaths.com (Also sponsored by GROCO) provides free access to content and world-class entrepreneurs, influencers and thought leaders’ personal success stories. To help you find your path in life to true, sustainable success & happiness. It’s mission statement:
In an increasingly complex and difficult world, we hope to help you find your personal path in life and build a strong foundation by learning how others found success and happiness. True and sustainable success and happiness are different for each one of us but possible, often despite significant challenges.
Our mission at MyPaths.com is to provide resources and firsthand accounts of how others found their paths in life, so you can do the same.
Empowering Leaders of Family Businesses
Transcript: Alan Olsen Welcome to American Dreams. My guest today is Lee Brower. Lee, welcome to today’s show. Lee Brower Alan, I’m delighted to be here. Thank you for having me. Alan Olsen Oh, I’m excited for this session night ugly. I’ve sat in classes with you. Management Consulting techniques, strategic planning. And…
Redefining Social Responsibility In The Financial Industry: Our Conversation With David Reiling
See David’s Recent Interview with Alan Olsen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztdtPfH9RAk&t=2s David Reiling is an accomplished social entrepreneur and innovator in the field of community development finance and financial inclusion. He has been the Chief Executive Officer of Sunrise Banks since 1995, and since then, he has successfully transformed Sunrise Banks into a leading player in the industry,…
NBA All-Star Weekend Economic Influence
Written by Ryan Hickman If you have walked around downtown Salt Lake City recently, you’d come across ginormous signs advertising the NBA. But not just advertisements for the local Utah Jazz, but for the annual pinnacle of NBA events: the 2023 All-Star Game. This annual event envelopes whichever city hosts the events, which include…